MGM Journal of Medical Sciences

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2022  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 268--274

Physical, emotional, and social well-being and toxicity assessment in post-mastectomy female breast carcinoma patients undergoing adjuvant treatment


Swapan K Mallick1, Gufran K Nahid1, Asit R Deb2 
1 Department of Radiotherapy, Malda Medical College, West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Malda 732101, West Bengal, India
2 Department of Radiotherapy, Medical College Kolkata, West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Kolkata 700073, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Swapan K Mallick
Department of Radiotherapy, Malda Medical College, West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Malda 732101, West Bengal
India

Objective: Breast carcinoma is one of the most common cancers in India. Breast cancer is usually associated with serious side effects due to the long-term treatment procedure. This study investigates how to improve the overall quality of life (QoL) of patients in physical, psychological, and social aspects. Materials and Methods: Records of patients attending the Radiotherapy Outpatient Department (OPD) from May 2019 to June 2021 were analyzed retrospectively. Records of several patients available in the department were reviewed by the census method, which is based on pre-decided inclusion and exclusion criteria. Results: Out of 105 patients included in the study, 38.1% (N=40) of the patients were graduates, and 30.5% (N=32) of the patients were illiterate; 54.3% (N=57) of the patients belong to rural areas. Only 24.8% (N=26) of the patients were employed and the remaining 75.2% (N=79) of the patients were unemployed. However, most of the patients (41.0%) developed grade 1 acute skin toxicity, among which a maximum number of patients (N=47) developed grade1 late skin toxicity. After radiotherapy among all included patients, almost 13.0% of the patients developed arm edema. According to the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale score, the maximum abnormal scores for depression were 60.0% (N=63) and for anxiety 59.0% (N= 62). Conclusion: This study emphasizes that older women and those from lower socio-economic strata tolerated chemotherapy and radiotherapy better. We can also conclude that improved QoL has been a major concern for breast cancer patients undergoing long-term treatment. In a post-treatment setting, serial evaluation of the QoL not only improves the treatment outcome but can also be a prognostic factor.


How to cite this article:
Mallick SK, Nahid GK, Deb AR. Physical, emotional, and social well-being and toxicity assessment in post-mastectomy female breast carcinoma patients undergoing adjuvant treatment.MGM J Med Sci 2022;9:268-274


How to cite this URL:
Mallick SK, Nahid GK, Deb AR. Physical, emotional, and social well-being and toxicity assessment in post-mastectomy female breast carcinoma patients undergoing adjuvant treatment. MGM J Med Sci [serial online] 2022 [cited 2022 Dec 7 ];9:268-274
Available from: http://www.mgmjms.com/article.asp?issn=2347-7946;year=2022;volume=9;issue=3;spage=268;epage=274;aulast=Mallick;type=0